When your Durham home’s HVAC system starts to fail — or if it already has — your options essentially come down to two: replace or repair. There are a lot of factors that go into making such a decision, but in general, if it is a newer system with a small problem and you haven’t had much trouble with it, then a simple repair clearly makes sense.
For older systems, or ones that have been repaired all to often lately, or ones that seem to be on their last legs, repair may be the only reasonable course of action.
Surely you know that a total system replacement would be a big job, but have you ever thought about just how big? Sure, you know you will have to swap out the failing furnace, and you may as well replace the air conditioning unit while you’re in there, but that’s it, right?
Actually, there is a lot more to your Durham HVAC system than just those two machines. Think about all the behind-the-scenes components and the little components that are often overlooked, such as:
- Ducts – Keep in mind that your ducts are probably as old as that furnace you are replacing, and that a new, efficient unit cannot operate at nearly its full potential with faulty duct work.
- Thermostats – Your old ones may not even be compatible with a new furnace or air conditioner.
- Wiring – For the thermostat, among other things.
- Insulation – Many homeowners forget that insulation is part of an HVAC system, too. Just like we said about duct work, old insulation does not help a new system achieve maximum performance.
- Piping – Such as refrigerant piping on a geothermal system or a ductless air conditioning system.
You can see that the job starts to get pretty complex pretty fast. This doesn’t mean you should shy away from a necessary replacement of your Durham heating system, just make sure that you fully consider the scope of what you need done, as well as the budget and time frame you have to work with.
If you have any questions about replacing your home’s heating system, give Advantage Airtech Heating & Air Conditioning a call today!