Having knowledge about carbon monoxide safety is so important. When left unnoticed carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous and can lead to serious injuries and even death. Please keep reading to learn about carbon monoxide and educate yourself on carbon monoxide safety.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer. This is because it is a colourless and odourless gas that has extremely dangerous effects if consumed. When left undetected, carbon monoxide can lead to serious illness or even death. In fact, carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisonings in Ontario annually.

How Does Carbon Monoxide Get in Your House?

Carbon monoxide is commonly produced by fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil, or wood when they do not burn completely in your fuel-burning appliances. This means that if there is a problem with your furnace, carbon monoxide could leak into your home without you realizing. Common sources of carbon monoxide include (but are not limited to):

  • Furnaces
  • Boilers
  • Fireplaces
  • Stoves
  • Barbeques
  • Dryers
  • Water Heaters
  • Space Heaters
  • Portable Generator
  • Vehicles

Carbon Monoxide Safety

Indoor Alarm System

Carbon Monoxide Alarm System

Carbon monoxide is so dangerous because it cannot be detected by sight, smell or taste. The number one safety precaution you can take against carbon monoxide is installing an indoor alarm system. Like a smoke detector, carbon monoxide detectors will sound an alarm if they detect that there is carbon monoxide in your home. When you hear this alarm you and your family should exit the home immediately, call emergency services and visit a healthcare provider for an examination.

Check the Batteries

Carbon Monoxide Alarm System

Getting a carbon monoxide detector is not enough. You also need to routinely check that the system is working. Regularly check the batteries to ensure that it is ready to go in the case of an emergency.

Repair and Maintain Appliances

Repair and Maintenance

Since your appliances are the main contributing sources of carbon monoxide in your home, it is important that you do not neglect regular maintenance or repairs. Damaged or blocked venting and inadequate airflow are two of the main ways dangerous levels of carbon monoxide may build up in the atmosphere. Having your equipment such as your furnace and fireplace checked regularly will help assure that you are safe in your home.

Pay Attention to Your Pets

Pay Attention to Your Pets

Your pets may show you warning signs that carbon monoxide is leaking into your home. Pay attention if your pet is refusing to come into the house, has a sore throat, is behaving irritably, or vomiting. These may be signs that something is wrong.

Signs and Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Signs and Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

In the event that carbon monoxide poisoning is occurring, these are the signs and symptoms to pay attention to:

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness.

If you or anyone in your house experiences any of these symptoms suddenly, exit the home immediately, call the police and visit a healthcare provider. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

At Advantage Airtech ClimateCare we’re committed to your safety. Give us a call today to schedule regular maintenance of your appliances as part of your home’s safety protocol.

Sign up to receive helpful home comfort tips and reminders
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
climatecare logo
energystar logo
lennox logo
hrai logo
tssa logo
wsib logo