You notice the scenery outdoors changing as fall draws near, but you might not be thinking about the changes that occur inside of your home just yet. However, when temperatures drop, it’s important to make some changes indoors if you want to stay cool and save money this upcoming season. In the following list, we give you a few reminders and pointers about how you can prepare for an enjoyable fall season.
- Think about the windows in your home. The windows can allow for heat to escape or drafts to get in if there are small holes and cracks around the perimeter, which is why weatherizing your home with materials like caulk is a good idea around fall. But you should also use windows to your advantage in the heating season by keeping the shades open and letting the sunlight heat your home in the day.
- Repair heating systems and duct leaks. If you’ve been putting off a heating system repair, now is the time to take care of it—before a sudden breakdown catches you by surprise. Have a professional repair your heating system and seal any leaks in the ductwork to save energy for the rest of the season.
- Pay attention to the thermostat settings. Readjust your thermostat settings so that the unit automatically adjust to your schedule each day. Lowering the temperature by 10 degrees for 8 hours a day (while you are at work, for example) can cut your energy bills by 15%, or more if you also schedule a maintenance visit.
- Change any filters. One of the most important aspects of heating maintenance (for a furnace or heat pump) is changing the filter so that the system is able to operate properly.
- Schedule professional maintenance. Professional maintenance is a wise decision to make each year for both your air conditioning and heating systems. Schedule an appointment today so that you can be confident that your unit is as safe and efficient as possible.
Call the friendly people at Advantage Airtech today for more helpful advice and for professional heating maintenance in Toronto, ON.