Most homeowners want to stay cool and comfortable in their homes during the summer months but are shocked by how much their utility bills rise as a result of the electricity consumption of their air conditioner.
The good news is that there are some simple air conditioner tips you can follow to reduce electricity consumption and use your air conditioner more economically. Check out our tips below and don’t hesitate to reach out to us afterwards if you have more questions on how to keep your home as cool as possible this season.
Air Conditioning Tips to Save Energy
- Running a ceiling fan helps circulate the air throughout your home and maintains a cooler overall temperature without running your air conditioner for too long as that puts more pressure on the system.
- Smart thermostats use new technology to regulate the temperature in your home even when you’re not there. This means that as the outdoor temperature fluctuates, it will adjust to make sure your air conditioner is not working harder than it needs to be to maintain your desired indoor temperature.
- Your curtains and blinds play a large role in keeping your home cooler. Close your blinds during the sunniest hours of the day to reduce the amount of excess heat entering the home.
- Ensure that your windows and doors are properly sealed so that your cooled indoor air is not escaping outside while hot air is sneaking in. If you live in an older home, drafts, condensation build up and excessive noise may be signs that you need to consider replacing your windows.
- The simplest way to reduce energy consumption is by keeping your house warmer. Always set your thermostat to the highest temperature you are comfortable living in so that your AC unit doesn’t have to work as hard.
- When you are away, instead of turning your AC unit off, turn the temperature up roughly 10 degrees. This will keep the air in your home fresh and take the hot edge off without wasting electricity when you are not even home. Turning your AC off altogether actually wastes more energy as the system has to work harder to re-cool the entire house when it is turned back on.
Can I Still Get Fresh Air and be Energy Efficient?
When the temperature is nice outside, it’s tempting to open up the windows and let some fresh air in. But how can you do this when it’s advised to keep your windows closed for your AC to run efficiently? Your best bet is to go outside to enjoy the fresh air but if you’d really like to bring it indoors, consider turning your AC down or off so that it is not competing with the outdoor air circulating through the house.
Additionally, it’s recommended to open up your windows at night when the air is cooler and the sun is no longer shining to allow the maximum amount of fresh air to enter your home and still stay cool and comfortable. Utilize fans to help circulate air if there is no breeze.
Upgrade for Maximum Energy Efficiency
If you haven’t upgraded your air conditioner in many years, it may be time for a replacement. Newer technology has made air conditioners more cost effective and environmentally sustainable, with a wide range of features to help you save money and get the most out of your AC unit.
For more information on how to keep your home cool, or to find out what are the various air conditioners options that are available at Advantage Airtech ClimateCare, contact us today!