Now that fall is in full swing, it’s important to start thinking about switching from AC to heat in our homes. It may seem like a simple task, but there are a few things you should consider first before letting the heat flow.
When to Switch from AC to Heat
There is no right answer as to when, exactly, you should make the switch. You should shut down your AC first when it starts to feel too cold in your home and you’re uncomfortable with the temperature. You should also perform end-of-season air conditioner maintenance around this time. Then, you should switch on your furnace.
However, you should turn on your furnace momentarily a few weeks before you need it to ensure it’s working properly, and that no repairs are needed. It’s also wise to do some general HVAC maintenance when you do this to help keep everything running smoothly. We’ll go over those steps next.
HVAC Tips for Fall
Before you go to crank up the heat, there are a few fall HVAC tips that you should follow to make sure your furnace will run smoothly:
- Check your thermostat: A great place to start is to make sure your thermostat is working properly. Set the thermostat up high and make sure you can hear the furnace turn on. Also, this is a great time to replace the batteries if your thermostat uses them.
- Clean and/or inspect your ducts: Check ductwork where possible to make sure there are no gaps or holes, or if any section is bent or damaged. Every three to five years you should also get your ducts cleaned to remove debris and allergens.
- Replace your air filter: Switching from AC to heat is an excellent time to change out your air filter. Grab a few extra filters to have on hand to use throughout the winter as well.
- Keep your furnace clear: Make sure to move any items that may be stored close to your furnace. You want a clear space around the unit. This ensures it has proper airflow, and that there is sufficient space to work if any repairs are needed.
- Have a professional inspect your furnace: It can be inconvenient and dangerous if your furnace breaks down during a harsh winter. Make sure that your furnace is in excellent working order by calling in a professional to inspect it. Don’t wait till the snow falls!
To guarantee that you and your family stay warm and comfortable this winter, contact the heating professionals at Advantage Airtech ClimateCare before switching from AC to heat.