The end-of-summer, early fall hot weather is probably delaying you from using your furnace.
Eventually, though, you will need to turn it on.
When you do, you expect it to run efficiently and quietly.
On the other hand, if there are some odd noises coming from it, it’s a sure sign that it’s due for some furnace repairs.
Keep an ear out for these strange sounds. If you do hear them, contact us ASAP and let us know what’s going on.
Harsh, scraping/grinding/grating noise
For many homeowners in Ajax, a metallic scratching-type sound indicates there could be a problem with the blower wheel.
- If this noise is coming from your furnace, turn it off immediately and contact us.
As its name implies, the blower wheel’s job is to blow air from the furnace and into your home. Without it, your home simply won’t heat up.
A faulty blower wheel can be caused by:
- Shaft detachment: The wheel has come apart from the shaft and is hitting the blower casing.
- Wheel damage: In this case, you’ll need to have the blower wheel replaced.
- Motor mount break: The entire assembly (wheel, shaft, screw) has collapsed.
- Belt stress: The belt is frayed and/or has come loose from the wheel.
Finally, leaving your furnace to run and hoping these scraping sounds will just “go away” is a bad idea.
In many cases, the prolonged use of a busted blower wheel will just make the problem worse.
Bangs or pops (especially when it’s first turned on)
If there’s a crackling or snapping coming from your Oshawa-home furnace when you turn it on, it’s usually one of two things:
1. Air duct issue
Metal expands when it’s heated and contracts when it’s cooled.
Even if your air ducts are in good shape, they’ll still expand and contract. What this means is:
- Your air ducts are too small and/or weak and flimsy
- There are closed vents which need to be opened.
- The air filter is clogged.
2. The burners are dirty
Dirt and debris caught in the burners are preventing them from igniting immediately. As a result, a tiny amount of gas is building up.
That pop you hear? It’s actually the gas igniting.
- This is quite dangerous, actually and should be dealt with ASAP.
In the long run, these tiny little explosions (because that’s what they are) will wreck the heat exchanger.
If that happens, you’re looking at a costly repair bill.
Loud screeching or whining sound
These sounds coming from the furnace inside your Pickering home aren’t overtly dangerous, per se.
However, they should still be taken care of with a furnace protection plan:
- Blower belts: Loose, slipped or frayed belts which need repairing or an outright replacement.
- Shaft bearings: Dry bearings which need to be oiled.
- Blower motor: Repairing or replacing a malfunctioning blower motor unit.
If you hear any of these noises, we can help get rid of them
When a strange noise is coming from your furnace, you may be inclined to open it and up and peek inside.
You could make the issue worse or end up injuring yourself.
Instead, contact our team of experts today. Tell us what’s going on with your furnace and we’ll get back to you ASAP and help you out.