As we head into fall and cooler temperatures, our attention turns to preparing for the winter. An important step to take in this preparation is scheduling heating system maintenance in Markham. Waking up in a cold house because your furnace has gone out is an experience no one likes to have, and conducting maintenance on your heating system can help prevent this from occurring. Fall offers a great time to schedule a maintenance appointment, but if you haven’t maintained your heating system in 12 months or more, any time is a good time to schedule a maintenance appointment, so call Advantage Airtech today.
Why Schedule Maintenance?
There are a few reasons why it’s important to schedule maintenance for your heating system this fall
- Energy efficiency – dirt and grime build up on your heating system, which can reduce the performance of your system. Additionally, parts may be out of alignment from last winter, and it’s important to re-align these parts to ensure proper operation. Overall, a well-maintained system works better than one that’s not, and will use less energy as a result..
- Helps prevent future repairs – during annual maintenance, your heating system is thoroughly inspected, allowing the technician to detect any existing or developing problems.
- Safety – during a heating maintenance appointment, ventilation is checked to ensure that no toxic fumes infiltrate your home – this is particularly important for those with gas heaters. Fuel lines are also checked to make sure there aren’t any issues that could cause problems.
What Happens During a Maintenance Appointment?
Here are the general overviews of what happens during heating maintenance appointments:
Furnace and Boiler:
- Safety check of your furnace or boiler for the presence of carbon monoxide
- Clean furnace filters and ensure that your heating unit has the proper size of filter
- Inspect the condition of the blower wheel and clean it if necessary
- Check combustion chamber and heat exchanger for proper functioning
- Clean burner compartment
- Check pilot safety timing or flame sensor and replace the thermocouple if needed
- Inspect burner flame to ensure gas and air adjustment and clean burner
- Ensure that the chimney of your home or business vents warm air properly
- Check all motors and belts
- Lubricate all moving parts
- Lubricate as needed
- Check defrost cycle and reversing valve operation
- Adjust air volume for maximum efficiency
- Check safety devices and electrical connections for tightness
- Check blower belt wear, tension and alignment
- Check for oil and refrigerant leaks
- Test electrical controls for proper operation
- Check refrigerant level
- Check refrigerant controls and coil temperature for maximum efficiency
- Replace air filter
- Check condensate drain
Get ahead of this winter by scheduling a heating system maintenance appointment in Markham with Advantage Airtech. Call us today!